Let’s be honest – who doesn’t enjoy a cup of coffee or two during the day at home or somewhere. We drink coffee as our favorite beverage but do we know what coffee do for our self? It has a great health impact in our life. Let us find our coffee in detail. Coffee has its wide variety and stimulating nature. It is the most consumed and popular beverage of this planet. Every day about 500 billion people enjoyed the cup of Arabica or Robusta. It is not just a healthy drink but it has also some surprising effects.
Although the coffee plant is native to tropical Africa and Madagascar it has travelled all over the world .Coffee is slightly acidic and addictive in its nature but it has a massive demand from Manhattan to Tokyo. It is used as a stimulating beverage over more than 1,000 years in various ancient cultures. Now days coffee is present in almost every coffee machines in offices in large or small size or even at home in single serve coffee maker machine which is enough for our daily home requirements. The most commonly used bean is Coffea Arabica. Coffee has a wide variety depending on which part of the earth you are drinking or on where from the beans imported.
Coffee can improve energy levels this is because of a stimulant widely known as ‘’caffeine’’. Caffeine is a psychoactive substance and it boosts our physical performance. Despite of other psychoactive substances it is unregulated and legal and consumed all over the world. Beverages such as coffee, tea, and cola contain caffeine prevents drowsiness and improve physical performance. Coffee beans are extracted from the berries of coffea plant. After that a brewed drink prepared from the roasted coffee beans we know as ‘‘coffee’’.
NUTRIENTS OF COFFEE
Many important nutrients and organic compounds present in coffee beans. It has a range of vitamins of B -family and includes riboflavin, niacin, caffeine and pantothenic acid. It has potassium, manganese and magnesium also. The most important thing it contains caffeine, a ‘psychoactive substance‘ and when it is consumed at right times during the day or in a moderate scale it gives better health benefits. Coffee has more antioxidants than green tea and cocoa.
In unprocessed coffee beans it contains approximately 1,000 antioxidants and this number increases after the process of roasting it. Antioxidants fight arthritis, atherosclerosis and many types of cancer. It also fight inflammation and neutralize free radicals. These antioxidants fights and protect our cells from damaging and keeps our body healthy at the micro level. Another important antioxidant that exclusively found in coffee is chlorogenic acid, helps in preventing cardiovascular disease.
Health Benefits of Coffee
- It strengthens your brain cells.
Coffee is a stimulant and it enables your brain to produce more ‘dopamine’ and ‘Adrenalin’ than the body produce usually. Caffeine affects the particular area of the brain which is responsible for concentration and memory. It also provides a boost to the short term memory. It increases your memory and reaction times and it has positive effects to the brain. Many researchers provided evidence of memory increase due to regular consumption of coffee and billions of people consumes it every day. Caffeine stimulates your nervous system due to this process it sends signals to your body fat to break down.
- An important source of healthful antioxidants. Coffee has more than 1,000 antioxidants that fight and protect the body from number of diseases and illness. Some antioxidants are exclusively found in coffee and help the body to prevent from diseases like diabetes and cancer. Coffee has more antioxidants than tea and cocoa and has also been found to aid weight loss and protect retinas and the eyes. Coffee contains antioxidants including hydrocinnamic acids and polyphenols. Hydrocinnamic acids neutralize free radicals and prevent oxidative stress. Additionally, the polyphenols may help to prevent diseases like cancer and type 2 diabetes. Antioxidants are also found protecting against aging.
- It prevents from heart diseases and lowers the risk of stroke. Hundreds of unique phytochemicals found in coffee that may help reduce inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties of coffee prevent the heart failure, atherosclerosis, and other conditions. In many researches it is found that people who drank coffee moderately they were less likely to die from heart diseases and stroke compared to those people who drank little or no coffee. People, who drink four to five cup of coffee daily, reduce the risk of having deposit of calcium in the arteries called coronary arteries which can cause heart disease. (The coronary arteries supply the oxygenize blood to the entire part of the heart). Drinking coffee on a daily basis may actually reduce risk of irregular heartbeat, called arrhythmia. Moderate consumption of coffee reduces irregular heartbeat, risk of heart disease and stroke, and reduces the death related to the heart diseases.
- Coffee can improve energy levels. Drinking coffee which contains caffeine can increase energy level and it help to fight fatigue. Caffeine boosts the effects of neurotransmitter dopamine, and this effect the level of concentration. It also blocks adenosine receptors. Adenosine itself is a compound in the brain that makes humans sleepy. Caffeine is contained in coffee and the adenosine compound increases the physical performance that will make body fresh, eyes wide open and rapid heartbeat. Studies provide more evidence that coffee raises metabolism, and helps you perform better physically. It also improves athletic performance and endurance during exercise. Coffee decreases perceived level of pain during physical exertion. As a result, drinking coffee before working out can improve physical exercise performance by more than 11%. However, when it comes to energy levels, the amount of coffee we drink really matters. The quantity between 1.5 -2.5 cups of coffee produces the best effects.
- Lower the risk of cancer.
- Liver Cancer. Drinking coffee does have a positive effect and minimizes the risk of primary sclerosing cholangitis – short for (PSC), a rare autoimmune disease of the liver. Coffee consumption reduces the incidence of cirrhosis of the liver. (Cirrhosis is a slowly progressing disease in which healthy liver tissues are replaced with the scar tissues and prevent the liver from function properly).
- Colorectal Cancer. Consumption of coffee 1-4 cups a day reduces the risk of colorectal cancer by 15%, and if we drink 4-6 cups a day can it reduce the risk by 26%.
- Endometrial Cancer. Drinking coffee daily has been associated with a 20% reduced risk of endometrial cancer.
- Breast Cancer. Consumption of coffee in moderation can protect women from ER- negative. ER- negative breast cancers are more aggressive. Thus, daily consumption of coffee reduces the risk of breast cancer. Coffee is able to release the substances called phytoestrogens and flavonoids and these substances block the growth of tumors.
- Skin Cancer. Drinking coffee may avert the risk of skin cancer. People who drink coffee have lower risk against attacks Basal Cell Carcinoma, is a type of skin cancer.
- Coffee Help To Reduce The Risk Of Parkinson’s Disease. Parkinson’s disease is a chronic disorder and is the second most common neurodegenerative disease. It is caused by the malfunction and death of the dopamine-generating neurons in the brain. Many research has shown that higher consumption of coffee and caffeine is associated with a significantly lowers the risk of Parkinson’s disease. Coffee drinkers have up to 60% lower risk of getting Parkinson’s disease.
- Caffeine Prevents You From Alzheimer’s Disease And Dementia. Alzheimer’s disease causes problems with tour memory, thinking and behavior. Coffee drinkers have much lower risks up to 65% of getting Alzheimer’s disease, which is the major cause of Dementia.
- Coffee Can Help You Lose Weight. Did you really know that caffeine is present almost in every commercial fat burning supplement? Caffeine is a natural substance found in coffee which helps in abeting fat burning. Caffeine present in coffee increases your metabolic rate help in burning of fat, by as much as 10% in obese individuals 29% in lean people. It is also found that caffeine increases oxidative free fatty acid (FFA) disposal which converted fat into energy.
- Essential Nutrients Found In Coffee. Coffee is just more than a cup of black water. Many nutrients are found in the coffee beans
- Riboflavin (vitamin B12):
- Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5):
- Manganese and Potassium:
- Magnesium and Niacin:
Most people are drinking more than one cup per day.
If you drink 3-4, then these amount quickly add up.
Coffee Can Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes is characterized as an inability of our body to secrete insulin. Type 2 diabetes is a gigantic health problem, affecting about 300 million people worldwide. Coffee increases the plasma level of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) which controls the body’s sex hormones, ‘testosterone’ and ‘estrogen’ and they are essential in the development of type||diabetes. Many researches have shown that people who increased their consumption of coffee more than 1 cup daily have lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Coffee Can Prevent Tooth Cavities. Coffee can prevent the growth of Streptococcus Mutants, a type of bacteria which is the major cause of dental cavities. After studied results shows that daily consumption of coffee strongly help to inhibit it’s process. However studies have found that black coffee produced more desirable preventive results.
Coffee Improves Your Blood Circulation. In a Japanese study, it has been proven that drinking five cup of coffee cause boost in capillary blood flow. The increased level of blood circulation results in better oxygenation of your body’s tissues. It has number of benefits, such as improvement of performance in physical activities.
- Coffee Can Reduce Depression And Makes You Happy. Daily consumption of coffee has an influence on the production of chemicals like serotonin and dopamine. Daily drinkers of coffee of about 4 to 5 cups have found a lower risk of depression. Coffee makes you feel happy and appear to lower the risk in the development of depression and may probably reduce the risk of suicide.
- Coffee Prevent Gout In Men. Many men who have passed from the age of 40 years have often faced the problem of Gout. Gout is a condition in which defective metabolism of uric acid and increase the level of uric acid in the blood causes Arthritis. Mostly gout affects big toe, but it can also be the reason of swelling and pain in other joints of the leg. Daily drinkers of coffee has a lower risk .It is found that daily consumption of coffee can decreases the level of uric acid in the blood, which lowers the risk of gout in men.
- Coffee Makes You Smarter And Happier. Everybody wants to live happy and healthy, right? And for the coffee lovers it is just not a morning drink, it is more than that. They don’t want to miss the familiar taste and warmth of the coffee that gets them going every morning, or anytime during the day. Caffeine present in coffee makes us feel so good because of its stimulating nature. It actually activates as some parts of the brains as drugs like cocaine and marijuana.
Maybe you don’t know about this but simply coffee makes us happy
As stated above, caffeine may be harmful for somebody especially in the case of pregnancy or anxiety.
But in a common way we can happily say that coffee is a healthy drink.
It can not only reduce the risk of many diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or many types of cancer but it can also help you to live longer and happier.