There is something about September that I don’t like.
No, it is not the end of the rainy season that bothers me. Yes, I do like rains but am ok with it when it goes away.
It is the winter that bothers me and the cold it bring with it.
Sneeze, leaky nose, throat problems, fever and more.
There is one thing about the cold though; if your immune system is strong you are less likely to catch one. That is saying a lot though, as there are over a Billion cold every year in the USA alone.
Visiting a doctor is always recommended but I guess there is no harm in trying out a bit of home remedy with cold fighting food.
Top 10 Foods to Cure a Cold
1) Water – Drink clean drinking water, try to get about 8 glasses of water a day. Avoid soda or any other soft drinks.
There is simply no alternative to clean drinking water and the more you drink and frequently – the quicker you will get healthy.
2) Chicken Soup – Chicken Soup is great for cold. It will quickly heal you and provide you with a much needed boost.
It is suggested that you add vegetables to your soup to make it healthy. Include garlic and onion – not only it is great for adding flavor but also helps beat cold.
3) Vitamin C fruits – Eating Citrus fruits rich in Vitamin C for example Oranges does helps. But please note, there are other fruits that have far more Vitamin C than Oranges. For example – berries, Kiwi, Guavas, etc.
4) Ginger Tea
Ginger is great for cold, especially for sore throat.
However ginger does not tastes great. It does have a flavor and surely improves the taste of any food it is added to but generally it’s taste isn’t that great. But when added to tea its taste becomes very good.
There are many other benefits of Ginger as it improves digestion, is anti-inflammatory, anti-viral etc. So, even if you don’t have a cold, you can still enjoy Ginger Tea once in a while.
Honey has plenty of health benefits. It is a natural sweetener, an anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory. It is great for weight loss, clearing of cough and cold and most of all – it tastes great!
People have gone as far as claiming that honey works better than cough syrup for cold.
Pro Biotic is always healthy. It contains good bacteria that help your digestion and fight bad bacteria in the intestines.
When you catch a cold and take medicines like anti-biotics, they kill the good bacteria too which makes your digestive tract weak. This can be bad for you as it might attract diseases like diarrhea.
There are several studies that support the benefits of pro-biotics and Yogurt is pretty much easy to get compared to other products that have pro-biotics for example buttermilk or kefir.
7) Banana – When you have a cold you need your body to become strong so that it can fight the infection. Banana contains Vitamin B6 which boosts your body’s infection fighting powers.
Generally, if you take a banana regularly when you are healthy, your immune system will become stronger and you will get fewer colds.
Personally, I wouldn’t take a banana when am having a cold; it is more helpful when you are healthy. However, many sources on the internet will suggest you to eat banana to fight off cold.
8) Carrots – Carrots contains beta carotene which boosts your immune system. A stronger immune system can fight off infection and keep you healthy.
There are many other benefits of carrots for example it is an anti-cancer food.
We discussed Vitamin C earlier and mentioned fruits that contain plenty of Vitamin C as it is very helpful in fighting cold. However, it is the bell pepper that contains the maximum Vitamin C.
10) Rice – Rice contains Vitamin B12 and Zinc. Along with that, rice is good for digestion and keeps diarrhea away.
Along with these foods, you can follow other home remedies to speed up your healing. Just make sure to rest enough, gargle and stay warm. For the sore throat, you can apply mustard old in your neck. It works better if you stay a bit in the sunshine exposing your neck area.