Knee provides great stability to stable our body weight and also functioned to bend or straighten leg. Knee joint plays significant role in displacement of body. Now-a-days knee pain can be seen commonly in any stage of age. It may often occurs suddenly, after injuries or by performing exercises and different reasons like arthritis and may more can led to knee pain.
Rheumatic diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus mainly responsible for inflammatory knee problems. Swelling is commonly seen symptoms for this kind of diseases and it led to damage knees permanently. Doctors examine knee problem on the basis of medical history, physical diagnosis and diagnostic tests like CAT scan, X-rays, MRI, biopsy and arthroscopy etc.
There are several kinds of ligaments inside knees as well as tendons and bursas. Osteoarthritis is commonly known type of arthritis. In this disease, cartilage which allows free movement to knee becomes worn. If you suffering from this disease your knee may swell and crunchy sound predict while you walk. Rheumatoid is another well known arthritis which affects your knee badly. In this disease, knee becomes inflamed and may be cartilage destroy.
Chondromalacia generally occurs when softens knee cap. This can mainly seen during injury, muscles weakness and parts of knee get out of alignment. Anterior cruciate and posterior cruciate are two commonly injured ligaments occurs in knee. “Sprain” is a word which defines injury to these ligaments. Ligament injuries can recover by applying ice packs, exercise and surgery.
Some knee problems occur due to various automobile accidents and it cannot be prevented but many of knee problems can be prevented by taking some precautions. Always try to warm up your body before playing sports. According to different studies walking, jogging and stretching your body plays a significant role in warm up your body.
Performing certain exercises like walking on stairs, jogging, riding bicycle and workout with heavy weights makes your leg muscles strong. Always select good quality of shoes and also remember that wear that only shoes which are completely comfortable for you. If you gain extra weight it will puts directly pressure on your knees it may also led to sharp pain in knees.
Today there are several kinds of knee pain and its conditions detected, if you experiencing knee pain don’t take in lightly manner immediately visit to orthopedic doctors for best treatment and describe your symptoms in details to get appropriate treatment and diagnosis. Here I am going to share some of the best treatment to cure knee pains:
1. Maintaining a healthy weight:
If your body gains additional weight ratio to your height, can exert extra pressure on your knee joints and may result to chronicle knee pain. Losing weight is the best factor to exert less pressure on your knees joint and it can provide great relief from stress to your knees. So, for better result consult to doctor or dietitian for maintaining your overweight issue like diet and good exercise plans.
2. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (RICE):
After an injury like knee or ankle sprain, you can get relief from pain and swelling by following RICE method but it can be follow as possible as you can after injuries. It simply means Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
- Rest: Try to provide rest and protect your injured area. Stop and take a break from current doing activities, it is helpful in manner of relief.
- Ice: Coldness to injured area is best treatment for reducing your pain and swelling. Apply cold ice packs for 10 to 15 minutes, thrice in a day to injured area, it minimize your pain and swelling. If it minor injury, you will find after 48 to 72 hours, swelling gone away from that area. Do not use ice directly on skin place cotton cloths over skin before applying.
- Compression: Elastic bandage like Ace wrap could be helpful as compression or wrapping for affected area. If you have wrap elastic bandage tightly make it loose because it can maximize swelling. Consult to doctor when you not getting relieve within 48 to 72 hours, it may be major injury.
- Elevation: Make sure that, affected or injured area elevated over a pillow when you sit or lie down on bed and while applying ice treatment. Affected area should be above the level of heart because it beneficial in reducing swelling.
3. Self massage:
Gently massage or rub over injured area to increase blood circulation flow, it helps to reduce pain and if you suffering from high pain don’t get massage over injured area it may increase your knee pain issue. Smoking is not allowed in knee pain because it decreases blood circulation level. Self massage is oldest form of healing knee pain and great in result for immediate pain relief.
Many research shows that, self massage is beneficial to control arthritis pain. Self massage can be perform without or with the help of oil or pain killer lotions but lotion helps in lubricant your skin and easy to gliding and sliding strokes over injured area.
4. Home remedies for knee pain:
- Mustard oil:
According to Ayurveda, gently massage with hot mustard oil over affected area reduced pain and improves level of blood circulation.
- Bring on heat three or four tablespoon mustard oil.
- Add chopped garlic clove until it turns brown in color.
- Allow to slightly cool down mustard oil with garlic clove.
- Apply mustard oil on injured or affected and do massage like in circular motion. It will definitely work to relief from pain if it minor injury.
- Apply heat with warm cotton towel over injured area. Cover it from cotton towel to make sure heat doesn’t get escape.
- Apply this therapy twice or thrice a day for a week. If you not getting relief from this therapy consult immediately to doctor for better treatment.
- Epsom salt:
Epsom salt includes magnesium sulfate that has been proven by many researches for providing relief from knee pain and great helpful in removal of excess fluid from tissues. It also reduces inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Add half cup of Epsom salt to 1 liter water and bring it to heat until solution get light warm.
- Soak with cotton cloth in warm Epsom salt solution and apply over injured area for 10 to 15 minutes to get immediate relief from pain.
- Do this for once or twice in a day for a week.
- Fenugreek seeds:
Fenugreek seeds are very beneficial for those people who suffering from knee pain due to arthritis and it is considered as warm in nature. They have special properties to relieve from knee pain such as anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
- Soak one tablespoon fenugreek seeds in safe drinking water overnight and drain off water. Chew and consume soaked seeds once in a day for a week to get relief from knee pain.
- Roast and grind one cup of fenugreek seeds and store in air tight jar. Make paste with the help of little water and two tablespoon fenugreek seed powder and apply on injured area for 35 minutes.
Turmeric is very effective and natural treatment for knee pains. It includes a special chemical known as cur cumin and contains properties such as anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Turmeric is very helpful in reducing pain and swelling it has been proven by NCCAM. It also reduced progression of rheumatoid arthritis, also cause of knee pain.
- Add half teaspoon ginger and turmeric powder in a cup and boil until it lightly warm. Add honey for natural sweetness and consume this turmeric liquid for twice a day. It is very beneficial to reduce pain.
- Another option to make turmeric solution with the combination of turmeric powder, milk and honey to taste.
These home remedies are not allowed or recommended for those people who are suffering from heart problems, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Various kinds of knee exercises play a significant role in recovering from pain and swelling. Exercise helps in gaining strength, mobility as previous days, improves in movement of knee joint and increases flexibility. You need to perform various exercises regarding to knee by consulting orthopedics doctor and therapist for recovery sooner.
Scheduled exercises considered as great improvement for knee pains, swelling and freely movement. Types of exercise and spent time on them completely depend upon knee issue, better to consult a good doctor for best advice.
Some of the best tips for recovery to knee pains:
- Do not consume alcohol while recovering from knee injuries. It minimize rate of healing capability of your body.
- Smoking is not allowed in knee pains, it can decrease your blood circulation level.
- Reduce your additional weight according to your height proportion.
- Always wear comfortable kind of shoes and sandals.
- Always try to walk for 10 to 15 minutes to gain flexibility and mobility.
- Consume daily supplements which contain magnesium and omega 3.
- Drink more and more water to hydrate yourself and it helps in your soften cartilage.
- If your knee issue is not recovering in a week then immediately consult to good orthopedics doctor for better treatment.
- Allow your injured leg in elevated position to reduce pain and swelling.
- Apply ice pack on injured area to get relief from pain.
- Perform cardio exercise to strengthen muscles and it helps in recovery from knee problem.
Pain reaches to heart in an electrical velocity but truth moves to heart slowly as melting of glacier. When you get injuries and you have to watch games by sitting on bench it kills you inside. So, it is called “precaution is better than cure”.